To schedule a test or procedure, including a mammogram, please call (866) 463-7002.
Now offering extended hours, including weekdays, evenings and Saturdays.
Having a mammogram or other breast imaging exam can be an anxiety-producing experience for many women and men. Our experienced imaging technologists combine clinical expertise, personalized health education and a caring touch to help relieve your stress.
With physicians and staff from our local community, it's like family members caring for family. We're dedicated to providing expert care centered on both women, men and their families.
At South Bay Hospital’s Center for Breast Health, we offer comprehensive breast imaging and radiology services that are tailored to your breast health needs. Our Center for Breast Health offers:
- The most advanced 3D mammography technology in the state of Florida – the GeniusTM 3D MammographyTM Exam with SmartCurveTM comfort assured breast compression stabilization system.
- Comfortable, caring environment: We offer a tranquil, spa-like atmosphere with comfortable gowns and warm dressing rooms.
- Nationally recognized program: We have received accreditation from the American College of Radiology for many of our diagnostic imaging and radiology exams.
- Convenient location: Our Center for Breast Health services are a short drive away for people who live in Sun City Center, Apollo Beach, Ruskin, Wimauma, Riverview and Parrish in southeast Hillsborough County and surrounding areas.
- Easy, flexible scheduling.
- Our radiology experts use one or a combination of exams to obtain images with pinpoint accuracy. The more precise the diagnosis, the more effective your treatment plan will be.
Learn more about all of our diagnostic imaging and radiology services.
Digital 2D Mammography Exams
Mammograms are the gold standard for finding breast cancer in its early stages. Digital mammograms using special X-ray equipment provide images that radiologists can manipulate on a computer. The enhanced images allow doctors to more easily target areas of concern that may require more testing.
Digital GeniusTM 3D MammographyTM – Now Available
3D mammography delivers a series of high-resolution images of different layers of the breast. This technology provides screening accuracy and allows doctors to examine your breast tissue layer by layer. Instead of viewing the complexities of your breast tissue in a flat image, as with conventional 2D mammography, fine details are more visible and no longer hidden by tissue. Advantages to choosing a GeniusTM 3D MammographyTM Exam include:
- Fewer callbacks for additional exams*
- Superior exam for women with dense breasts*
- Detects more invasive cancers compared to 2D*
- Reduced false positives*
- Available with SmartCurveTM comfort assured breast compression stabilization system
- Now covered by most major insurance companies, Medicare and Medicaid.
SmartCurveTM - comfort assured breast compression stabilization system
The More Accurate Genius™ Exam Just Got More Comfortable
Mammograms are a woman’s best defense in detecting breast cancer early, but we know that the fear of pain causes many women to delay scheduling their annual mammogram. That’s why we proudly offer the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam that combines better, earlier breast cancer detection1-6 with the improved comfort of the SmartCurve™ breast stabilization system.
Getting a mammogram with the SmartCurve™ system is just like getting a regular exam – only more comfortable! The curved design of the compression device mirrors the shape of a woman’s breast to reduce pinching and applies uniform compression over the entire breast for added comfort. The technologist will view the images of your breasts at the computer workstation to ensure quality images have been captured for review. A radiologist will then examine the images and report results to either your physician or directly to you. Patients appreciate the comfort of the SmartCurveTM system.
- The system has been shown to improve comfort in 93% of patients who reported moderate to severe discomfort with standard compression technology
- 95% of patients surveyed would recommend facilities that use a SmartCurveTM comfort assured breast compression stabilization system
The Genius™ 3D Mammography™ exam (a.k.a. Genius™ exam) is acquired on the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system and consists of a 2D and 3D™ image set, where the 2D image can be either an acquired 2D image or a 2D image generated from the 3D™ image set. The Genius™ exam is only available on the Hologic 3D Mammography™ system. Please consult your physician for a full list of benefits and risks associated with mammography. PP-01977 Rev. 001 ©2018 Hologic, Inc. Hologic, 3D, 3D Mammography, Dimensions, Genius, Selenia, and associated logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Hologic,Inc. and/or its subsidiaries in the United States and/or other countries. 1. FDA submissions P080003, P080003/ S001,P080003/S004, P080003/S005. 2. Friedewald SM, Rafferty EA, Rose SL, et al. Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography. JAMA. 2014 Jun 25;311(24):2499-507. 3. Zuckerman SP, Conant EF, Keller BM, et al. Implementation of Synthesized Two-dimensional Mammography in a Populationbased Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Screening Program. Radiology. 2016 Dec;281(3):730–736. 4. Skaane P, Bandos A, Eben EB, et al. Two-view digital breast tomosynthesis screening with synthetically reconstructed projection images: comparison with digital breast tomosynthesis with full-field digital mammographic images.Radiology. 2014 Jun;271(3):655–63. 5. Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M, et. al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1105–13. 6. McDonald ES, Oustimov A, Weinstein SP, et al. Effectiveness of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Compared With Digital Mammography: Outcomes Analysis From 3 Years of Breast Cancer Screening. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Jun 1;2(6):737–43. 7. Smith, A. Improving Patient Comfort in Mammography. Hologic WP-00119 Rev 003 (2017)
Guided Breast Biopsy: Stereotactic and Ultrasound
Physicians can use several technologies to guide minimally invasive biopsies of breast tissue to check for cancer. These guided biopsies enable the physician to precisely locate and target the cells for biopsy. Each technique uses a different technology to produce images:
- Stereotactic uses special X-ray equipment.
- Ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves.
- Breast Lymphoscintigraphy
This procedure tests the lymph nodes near the breast to see whether cancer has spread following these steps:
- Your physician injects the breast with radioactive tracer material.
- The material spreads to nearby lymph nodes.
- Your physician uses a gamma scanner to take images of the breast, chest and armpit areas to determine if any lymph nodes have become cancerous.