South Bay Hospital is proud to announce that we have earned the Gold Seal of Approval™ from The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers. We have also been named an American Heart Association “Get With The Guidelines” Silver Plus award recipient for our stroke program. South Bay Hospital is proud to be advancing care for the South Shore Hillsborough County Communities.
It is very important to be familiar with the sign and symptoms of stroke. If you or someone you know is experiencing any of the signs or symptoms of stroke, call 911 immediately. Getting help quickly can minimize the attack and lower the risk of fatality. Act quickly and get help, every minute counts.
Stroke Warning Signs
If you notice one or more of these signs, don't wait. Stroke is a medical emergency. Call 911.
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden, severe headache with no known cause
Minimize Your Risk
Minimize your risk for stroke:
- If you smoke, quit. For help with quitting, contact The American Heart Association website for more information at www.americanheart.org
- If you suffer from Hypertension, Diabetes, or High Cholesterol, work with your doctor to control the condition
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption
Kamlesh Patel, MD