Heart Failure Accreditation Received
January 26, 2011
South Bay Hospital Receives Heart Failure Accreditation
(South Bay Hospital – Sun City Center, FL) received full Heart Failure Accreditation status from the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC) on December 13, 2010.
Heart failure is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality in the United States. Approximately five million patients in the United States have heart failure. In addition, heart failure patients are responsible for 12 to 15 million physician office visits per year and 6.5 million hospital days. SCPC’s goal is to help facilities manage the heart failure patient more efficiently and improve patient outcomes.
“Being awarded the Heart Failure Accreditation demonstrates that our staff is committed to providing care that has been shown in the scientific literature to quickly and efficiently treat Heart Failure with evidence-based protocols,” said Sharon Roush, Chief Executive Officer at South Bay Hospital.
South Bay Hospital has demonstrated its expertise and commitment to quality patient care by meeting or exceeding a wide set of stringent criteria and undergoing an onsite review by a team of SCPC’s accreditation review specialists. South Bay Hospital’s protocol-driven and systematic approach to patient management allows physicians to reduce time to treatment and to risk stratify patients to decrease their length of stay. Key areas in which a facility with Heart Failure Accreditation must demonstrate expertise include the following:
- Emergency Department Integration with Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Assessment of Patients with Symptoms of Acute Decompensated Heart Failure-Diagnosis
- Risk Stratification of the Heart Failure Patient
- Treatment for Patients Presenting to the Emergency Department in Heart Failure
- Heart Failure Discharge Criteria from the Emergency Department, Observation Stay or Inpatient Stay
- Heart Failure Patient Education in the Emergency Department, Observation and Inpatient Unit
- Personnel, Competencies and Training
- Process Improvement
- Organizational Structure and Commitment
- Heart Failure Community Outreach