Sun City Center, Florida - Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida, Inc. (BCBSF) has designated South Bay Hospital as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement. Blue Distinction Centers for Knee and Hip Replacement is part of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association’s expansion of its Blue Distinction® designation.
“We are proud to achieve this distinction from Blue Cross and Blue Shield for our Knee and Hip Replacement Program,” says Sharon Roush, CEO of South Bay Hospital. “This recognition of our quality care is representative of the hard work and dedication of our entire medical team.”
South Bay Hospital offers comprehensive knee and hip replacement services, including:
- Joint Replacement Surgery
- Joint Resurfacing Surgery
- Repair of Fractures
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Small Bone and Joint Repairs
- Repairs of Tendons and Nerves
- Repair of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
“Blue Distinction puts a high value on research and evidence-based health and medical information,” said Allan Korn, M.D. Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association Chief Medical Officer. “Blue Distinction Centers show our commitment to working with doctors and hospitals in communities across the country to identify leading institutions that meet clinically validated quality standards and deliver better overall outcomes in patient care.”
The selection criteria used to evaluate facilities were developed with input from a panel of expert physicians. To be designated as a Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement, the following types of criteria were evaluated. More information on selection criteria is available on www.bcbs.com:
- Established acute care inpatient facility, including intensive care, emergency care, and a full range of patient support services with full accreditation by a CMS-deemed national accreditation organization
- Experience and training of program surgeons, including case volume
- Quality management programs, including surgical checklists as well as tracking and evaluation of clinical outcomes and process of care
- Multi-disciplinary clinical pathways and teams to coordinate and streamline care, including transitions of care
- Shared decision making and preoperative patient education
The Blue Distinction designation is awarded by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality healthcare in the areas of bariatric surgery, cardiac care, complex and rare cancers, knee and hip replacement, spine surgery and transplants. The program is part of The Blues® efforts to collaborate with physicians and medical facilities to improve the overall quality and safety of specialty care.
The additional Blue Distinction Centers for Knee and Hip Replacement designation will bring the nation’s number of Blue Distinction designations to more than 1,600—and this number is expected to increase in the coming years.